Wednesday, January 24, 2007
It seems like people got kind of stuck on certain aspects of the section of our human rights book on trade-offs. Can giving up certain human rights lead to greater development for a state? After a troubling phone call from a friend, I'm wondering if the tolerance of otherwise unacceptable state behavior in hopes of a beneficial long term outcome is similar to how we deal with things interpersonally. I knew a guy in college several years ago who tried to OD on Tylenol. After he recovered, he started smoking cigarettes. I knew some people that freaked out about his new bad habit, but in my mind an addiction to cigarettes is a far better trade-off to taking one's own life. You know the worse fate this person is saving himself from with this behavior, but the behavior can cause long lasting damage. As a Christian, what do you do in this situation? What behavior do you tolerate?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment